This journal chronicles the adventures of a risk-taking, systems-thinking, kaleidoscope-eyed, strong-willed, peace-seeking
researcher making moves to lead a simple, impassioned lifestyle that prioritizes smart community development and green
infrastructures. Follow me vicariously through time and space to taste a little slice of my sweet life!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Smokies Section

For whatever reason, I decided to start my hike at the highest point on the A.T...

I got an Uber from my lovely hostel in West Asheville to get to Clingman's Dome in the middle of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (GSMNP). My Uber driver was a retired Vietnam War Veteran from North Carolina. He played excellent mountain music the entire 2 hour ride, so I was feeling inspired to get to walking. I should mention that I have not conditioned myself for this endeavor besides the past 2 years constantly using outdoor gear, living (far) off the grid, and on a carb-heavy staple diet. My legs, however, haven't done this much walking since my last half-marathon a year ago. I don't suggest my approach.

Anyhow, I arrived at my destination and my new pal wished me well before I took off uphill for a 13% steep gradient, half-mile hike up to the Observation Deck on top of the Dome (6,643 ft). The overcast blue mountains were showing off their colors today, so I took a deep breath and dove onto the trail. I walked 10.5 miles until sundown when I reached my first shelter, Ice water Creek. There I met a whole cast of people - some that I would subsequently see throughout the trip since we were headed in the same direction. One couple heading south graduated from Eckerd College near my previous residence and another guy was born in my hometown! Imagine that. Anyway, we prepared our sleeping bags across 2 long wooden platforms under the 3-walled shelter and cozied in for the night. Around 9:30 PM, 4 more people showed up so we made room for them to pile in.

The next day we all ate, packed up and headed out in our respective directions. Since it was Day 2 for me I was already feeling sore with a 25 lb. pack pulling down on me and a bum knee acting up. The weather was cloudy and at our elevation... we were IN the clouds!

About a mile up the way I happened upon the 4 shelter latecomers, they were retired Korean men hiking the Smokies. We became instant friends and for the next 2 days they fed me Korean market food and I think I even started speaking their language! Ha! Two of them were avid hikers. There was a novice at the age of 70. And one guy was very comical and would shout out variations of, "Smokey Highway!!" or, when it was a flat section, "Florida Highway!", they made the hike so entertaining.

I am looking forward to stretches of alone time on the trail but I have met countless hikers with unique stories, all of whom have the same dedication and reverence to the Trail, with the ultimate goal of walking all 2,200+ miles of it. Me, I simply want to take advantage of the blessing of time that I have post Peace Corps and get some fresh air.



Happy Trails is the wise way to say I acknowledge your journey and I wish you strength and pleasure along the way.


Happy Trails!
b.



No comments:

Post a Comment