This journal chronicles the adventures of a risk-taking, systems-thinking, kaleidoscope-eyed, strong-willed, peace-seeking
researcher making moves to lead a simple, impassioned lifestyle that prioritizes smart community development and green
infrastructures. Follow me vicariously through time and space to taste a little slice of my sweet life!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Bopping Along

Sunday's hike was 11.5 miles of easy beginnings and on up to a bald mountain called Max Patch. It's a popular spot for day visitors, with no exception this day. The views were great all around and the breeze was so nice. I played down a bit and ate some snacks. I continued on to find the place I had planned to camp for the night. GQ showed up and asked to join. We ate our dinners and chatted about the world as we know it. Did I mention he is almost 72?!! According to his DNA ancestry report, he told me that he's got roots all over the world, most notably from the Congo and Tanzania. I talked about my Peace Corps experience in Zambia and he told me about his travels with the military, including two tours in Vietnam. What amazing dialogue we've had!
Heading up to Max Patch

Another night in my hammock made for an exciting evening. I was visited by a young white tail deer who munched grass all around my set up, no more than 5-10 feet away. It apparently did not fear my bug net covered suspension and I was able to observe it for 15-20 mins. Later in the night, it visited again and led me to watch fireflies dance about in the moonless dark.

I've now made it to a hiker town that the Appalachian Trail cuts right through. Hot Springs is an adorable little community with a few artisan shops, hiker-friendly grocery stores, a pub and a tavern, along with several inns and hostels. Fate has it that my new kindred spirit friend GQ is heading home for a short two weeks in Frederick, MD. I'm taking the opportunity to hitch along to DC, where I can rest my knee and visit my close friend Alicia.


I've got another few weeks before I have to be back in Florida for a couple summer celebrations with friends and family, so I'll head back to where I left off and hike as far as I can until then!!


Take Good Care,
B

Bruce Sausage Willis, a dog hiking the AT.

No comments:

Post a Comment