This journal chronicles the adventures of a risk-taking, systems-thinking, kaleidoscope-eyed, strong-willed, peace-seeking
researcher making moves to lead a simple, impassioned lifestyle that prioritizes smart community development and green
infrastructures. Follow me vicariously through time and space to taste a little slice of my sweet life!

Monday, February 8, 2016

One Night in Philly



Good Day from Philadelphia!

After an eternally long night of packing I somehow managed to make the weight of both my checked luggage under 50lb (22.7kg) each. I really had to glean but I am pretty satisfied with what I was able to bring. Here’s the breakdown:



I can tell you numerous things on my excel DID NOT make it. I did however get to carry my tent and sleeping back thanks to my awesome external frame backpack from my dad. The other duffle back has back straps and wheels…plus I have a full carry-on backpack and cargo purse. I’m pretty bummed that most of the candy goods didn’t make it… I am happy to have my hammock. Also, I hope my small bottle of Jameson isn’t ransacked, not sure why it would be.

Anyway, I am preparing now to get registered at the hotel and then run out downtown before our sessions begin for the afternoon. Here’s my current itinerary for the next 48 hours:

STAGING DATES: February 8, 2016 - February 9, 2016

REGISTRATION: 12:00 PM on February 8, 2016

STAGING HOTEL: Sonesta Philadelphia Hotel
1800 Market St 19103
(215) 561-7500
www.sonesta.com/Philadelphia‎

SCHEDULE:

February 8, 2016
12:00
PM: Registration
2:00 - 4:25 PM: Who We Are, What You Expect, What's Next
4:25 - 4:45 PM: Break
4:45 - 7:00 PM: What We Expect, Closing

February 9, 2016
2:00
AM: Check out of hotel
2:30 AM: Bus arrives for loading and departure to the airport

INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT ITINERARY:

09 FEB 16 - TUESDAY
AIR UNITED AIRLINES FLT:7226 UNITED ECONOMY LUNCH
NEW YORK JFK-JOHANNESBURG OPERATED BY SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS
LV NEW YORK JFK 1040A EQP: AIRBUS A340-600
DEPART: TERMINAL 4 14HR 55MIN

10 FEB 16 - WEDNESDAY
AR JOHANNESBURG 835A NON-STOP
ARRIVE: TERMINAL A
AIR SOUTH AFRICAN FLT:62 ECONOMY LUNCH
LV JOHANNESBURG 1030A EQP: AIRBUS A320
DEPART: TERMINAL B 01HR 55MIN
AR LUSAKA 1225P NON-STOP


I don’t expect to have cell service or any communications opportunities with overseas after we leave JFK around 10:30AM Tuesday. Upon arrival in the capital of Zambia (Lusaka), we will be shuffled into a hotel..the Barrel Hotel, I think. I am hoping that they will left us crash for the rest of the day and then remain in the hotel for a few days. I have hardly slept in the last week, plus the emotional and mental drain of goodbyes and preparations is tolling. This gig ain’t for the weak!

Still, I am in a very happy state despite all that I am leaving. What I am facing is a sweet unknown world of African culture and geography which I have longer to encounter for so long now. I am privileged, blessed, and gracious beyond belief by all the circumstances that have lined up this path. With a strong, supportive family, half a decade of higher education, and an adventurous spirit all backing me up I am feeling confident with what lies ahead. That’s not to say that I have doubts and regrets…in fact they are expressing themselves as a pretty consistent eye twitch right now….I just need sleep.

So, after my sessions I will probably catch dinner with some of the other volunteers and shuffle my bags some more, as well as, do any downloading or websurfing I need to do before we truck on out of here at 2 AM. Alicia figured we ought to just stay up until then, great idea girl 😉 Hahaa. So, I will plan on posting on more time.



Current Music: Led Zeppelin on shuffle
Current Mood: Autopilot

 

1 comment:

  1. Missing you beautiful! Can't wait for your next update, hope things are going smoothly. XO!

    ReplyDelete