This journal chronicles the adventures of a risk-taking, systems-thinking, kaleidoscope-eyed, strong-willed, peace-seeking
researcher making moves to lead a simple, impassioned lifestyle that prioritizes smart community development and green
infrastructures. Follow me vicariously through time and space to taste a little slice of my sweet life!

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Last weekend at the vineyard

The past weekend marked my last few trips down to Bunker Hill Vineyard and Winery. For nearly three years now I have made my way out of town to a grape farm run by environmental advocates, Larry and Lenora Woodham...or as I know them - Pop and Nan. Since the day I introduced myself as their granddaughter's friend from college, I have been connected to them as kindred spirits and gracious employers.

Bunker Hill has a special place in my heart as a respite from my once-busy lifestyle and a learning space for land stewardship and an introduction to small business. While in school, I earned internship credit toward my Environmental Science degree, but I had never imagined finding such a truly sustainable business with such humble owners. They continuously push the envelope for conserving resources and retaining the quality of their wines. From sourcing only local, whole produce to using only bottles recycled from their customers, Bunker Hill is a true green business. I am so gracious to them for all that they have taught me, and for treating me like family.

Kissing their cheeks and receiving gifts from Nan and Pop on Saturday felt like any other day. I have become so at home at the vineyard that it still seems like a regular part of my week to come. Still, I having been running around like a banshee across central Florida these last few weeks just trying to say farewell to loved ones and round out my packing supplies. It just doesn't feel like the "last time" for any of my salutations; however, a mere 6 days are all that's left before I am on a plane to Philly and then off to the African motherland.

With my remaining time, I will continue to visit friends and colleagues to have coffee and cocktails around St. Pete and in Lakeland. I was fortunate to see some of my Murphy family who came to town, as well as, my father's wife who I consider a powerful influence in my life! I set up their Skype accounts and explained that I will be 7 hours ahead of them and I would need adequate power and internet to video chat with them.

If anyone has a Skype account feel free to add me! "brandimurphy40"
I will also have my Facebook active, "brandi.murphy.180"
Soon I will have a temporary mailing address for letters and care packages ;)

More tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment